Hi 7th hour!

Today at Writers Week we saw the following student presenters:  Nicole Pfister; Hanna Cushing; Emily Kivland; Insiya Syed; Kristina Chen; Jayne DePaolis; Jared Swenson; Imama Khawaja.

Choose at least three of these writers and write about what you liked best about their writing/presentation.  Give specific details from their presentation to clearly illustrate what you liked/admired.  “She was good” is NOT enough of a response here!

Again, read what people ahead of you have already written about and see if you can come up with something new as well as responding directly to what people have already written.

Views: 244

Replies to This Discussion

One of my favorite performers from today was Emily Kivland, specifically her second poem. Her second poem was about all the violence we see on the news today and it really captured my attention. The way she described the mother holding her dying child in the street really struck me. I think what made her performance so powerful was her tone when reciting the poem. It was very strong and you can even hear the pain in her voice. Her gestures went with her words very well and they suited the topic of her writing. She also impressed me again by how she memorized the whole thing. It takes a lot of courage to read your writing in front of such a large audience but having it memorized shows us how professional she is. 

Another great performer was Nicole Pfister. Her diary entries were really funny and it reminded me of my own childhood because I also had a diary with really embarrassing stories. I liked how she was able to share about her childhood with the audience but also make a lesson out of it. It was cool to literally hear how she changed from year to year in just the writing in her journals. I liked her message of loving yourself and that it's okay to be different from everyone else. I think it's a great topic to talk about because many teenagers struggle with self image and desperately try to fit in with the rest of society.

I also really enjoyed Insiya Syed's performance on how to be the "perfect brown girl". I enjoyed this piece because the overall tone of it was very sarcastic. Although I could not relate to this performance personally, I could tell that many people around me did with their laughter and comments. Her writing showed us the ridiculous expectations the "aunties" had for potential woman to marry their sons. It was interesting to see the difference between two different cultures, and listen to another example of women trying to change themselves for someone else's needs. I also liked how at the end, she didn't say anything about how you don't have to change yourself for someone to like you because her jokes and sarcastic already told us that she didn't approve of it. 

Social discrimination and being everything the media wants you to be is a popular problem in A,Erica and is a Common problem that happens. Insiya Syed's presentation showed us that these "social norms" don't exist just in America, but also in the Indian culture throughout families. The expectations that her "aunties" have of the perfect wife/woman mirror many of the social expectations that woman in America face too. A perfect fact, body, and even complextion, which really stood out to me, are all desired by the "aunties". Her presentation just really made me realize that no matter where you go there will be Social expectations.

Hanna Cushings piece was a lot brighter than much of the other pieces written and performed yesterday. What i loved even more about her piece is that it was kind of teaching all of us how to not only be proud of who you are/were, but also its okay to make fun of yourself and laugh about the experiences you've gone through. I couldn't help but build a connection was she was talking about the brief "Elmo" phase she went through on the second grade in her diary. I was a bit of a dark child. She taught me an important lesson in a way of self acceptance and not to be embarrassed of your past self, regardless if it's from your second grade diary or your senior year essays.

This year at fremd my eyes have really opened to mental illnesses like depression, especially because of the tragedy that the school went through with a suicide of a student. When Jared Swenson was reading his poems about suicide, I couldn't help but feel the many oppurunities there are to get the help you need and the people even just available there to talk. One part that especially stood out was his little interlude before a poem where he addressed the audience that if anyone were to ever need to talk or anything, regardless of him knowing you or you knowing him, he would be there to talk to you and help you through. I though that this was a brave thing to say and I really admire him for it because it isn't easy saying that to a group of 500 people that you may not know. because of him I also want to be seen as somewhat of a safe haven for students where they know they can come talk to me.
Insiya Syed's writing about how to be perfect for a brown man was hilarious. It was a very entertaining and realistic piece because in India, in-laws always have a competition to see who can get the best woman for their man. Flaws are generally accepted in societies but not in some places in India. People have the highest expectations for their daughter-in-law. Insiya addressed a very important topic that addresses society. I really like how she used her tone to communicate advice and tips on how to get a brown man. Overall, her speech was very entertaining and whether she meant it or not, she addressed an important problem I society.

Nicole Pfister's diary entries are humorous yet serious at the same time. Even though I laughed as how she tried to like a guy and how she majorly messed up, her writing also thought me the lesson to be myself and to try and fit into society. I couldn't stop laughing when she mentioned about how she had a hard time to choose a certain Eggo product. Overall, it was very humorous and interesting to listen to her entries.

Emily Kivland's poem, All Blood Is Red, was one of my favorite pieces of writing during Writers Week. She got my attention when she said that one statement, that all blood is red. She had a social lesson in her poem, that all are equal and all are same. She talked about violence and shootings in which the guy who shot the bullet, has the same blood as the guy who got shot at. She also included that all the things that happen on television and on the news channels are very true and those things could also happen to us. Her different way of thinking made me think in a way I had never thought before, that all are equal and all are same.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Russ Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service