Hi 7th hour!

Please respond to the following questions about today’s presentation:

1.) Which of Sierra’s poems stood out to you the most and why?  I’m not asking which ones you liked best; I’m asking which ones do you now remember and why do you think that is the case.

2.)  Sierra uses diction (her word choice) exceedingly well.  How can you relate her talent to your own diction in your writing?  Think of ALL your writing, both creative and analytical because diction applies to all writing.

3.  What do you think of Sierra’s delivery (the way she presents herself onstage)?  Why do you feel this way?  What can you learn/apply about her delivery to your own delivery when we give speeches?

Again, read what people ahead of you have already written about and see if you can come up with something new as well as responding directly to what people have already written.

You have until 1:00 on this coming Monday (Feb. 29) to respond to today's discussion post.

Views: 247

Replies to This Discussion

At first, I would have said her poem about her sister as I can relate easily to that. The idea of my younger sister ever going through something as horrible as that frightens me. But though that was very inspiring and heartfelt, I think the one that stood out to me the most was her peom about the serial killer. I had not thought of writing from another person's pespective about something like that. She introduced the type of writing it was and I found that so fascinating. You don't usually think about the criminal's point of view or how their family must feel thinking they did something wrong in raising them to end up where they did. That had to be the one that stood out to me the most.

Her word choice is impeccable, she doesn't use a generic word to describe a specific feeling, she finds the perfect word. You know how there is a word for how you feel or a better word than what you say? You can't find that perfect word that fits so perfectly with how byou feel or whatever you are describing. I think she does that flawlessly. I usually get stuck with whatever I have written but I never can find that word even after scouring through the interweb searching for that word to use in my essay, only to forget it later on when it could prove to be helpful. I think there are certain words to use in analytical and creative writing. You usually try to seem very diplomatic in your essays but when it is a narrative it is more relaxed and informal. She performed both types outstandingly.

You could tell she loved being on the stage and at Fremd which only made being an audience member all the better. She was comfortable and confident and mumbled funny things that you would be sure to hear but almost seem like it was an inside joke between you and her, making it more personal. But at the same time she was serious and professional about many different poems and her other types of writing, I think the fact that there were only like 8 books left for her to sign shows how well loved she is here at Fremd. Even ehen she was reading off of a paper, it felt as though she was literally talking to us from her mind directly to the audience, making it more personal. I think I can say I need to slow down in talking but the only way for that to happen is if I am more comfortable onstage (or front of the classroom), and be confident (or seem like I am).
All of Sierra Demulder's poems were amazing and really caught my attention but the poem that stood out it me the most was the poem about Sierra's grandfather. It was really sad how he passed away and how he wasn't able to remember anything. The way she kept telling her grandpa things about his life in the poem and he couldn't remember was upsetting. I think this shows how good she is at writing by the way she's able to make people emotional by her words. It made me emotional because it reminded me of my grandpa and I wouldn't want to lose him that way.
I think Sierra's diction in her poems is great and she describes things in her poems well. I think I sometimes lack this in my creative writing and I don't create a good image in my reader's mind. Describing a scene in my writing can make my reader understand the characters in the story are going through or describe what their life is like. The word choice in writing is very important too. If a character in my story is younger then I could choose simpler vocabulary to make it seem like it's actually a child talking.
The way Sierra presents herself on stage is really great. She seems very comfortable in front of such a large audience and even tries to interact with us by asking questions or what we wanted to hear next. Her personality is fun and she makes me feel like she's just having a regular conversation. The way she recited her poems was interesting and it didn't bore me because of the inflection of her voice.
1. The poem about the killer in the mother's point of view stood out to me the most. It was very heart touching because no mother would ever expect her son to grow up and become a criminal. Also, the mother would be hurt a lot because she would think that she didn't raise her son in a good way and that it was her fault and so she would take the responsibility of the crimes her son committed.

2. I would use some words that could make sure that my writing connects to the audience. I wouldn't use complicated words but I would use words that are appropriate for the audience age group and also words that would make my writing professional. Ultimately, I would follow Sierra's method of using words that make my poem professional but I would also use words to make sure my audience does not feel bored.

3. She was very confident in her delivery. The moment she started talking, she got the audience's attention. Her tone was very friendly and modern which made sure she didn't sound like an adult and she could connect to the audience easily. Her tone also made her poems fun to listen to. I would make sure that I am confident and don't sound very professional and adult-like in my writing and would also make sure that I can connect to the audience easily.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Russ Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service