Which of the characters from To Kill a Mockingbird BESIDES ATTICUS do you respect the most?  Be careful!  I'm not asking which one you like the most; I'm asking you which one you respect the most.  That's not exactly the same thing.  

• You need to write a one-paragraph minimum response to this question.  
  • You must use specific examples from the book to back up what you are saying.
  • If people have replied/written ahead of you, look at their responses.  Do not merely repeat what other people have written.  You must find some way to make your response somewhat unique.

Views: 958

Replies to This Discussion

The insane amount of courage and kindness Boo Radley has makes him one of the characters that I mostly respect. He is perceived as a monster who, at one point Scout Even sees him as a dangerous figure, "Every night sound I heard from my cot on the back porch was magnified three-fold; every scratch of feet on gravel was Boo Radley seeking revenge, every passing Negro laughing in the night was Boo Radley loose and after us; insects splashing against the screen were Boo Radley's insane fingers picking the wire to pieces..." (Lee 55). However, this is just a classification they put on poor Boo because of his deranged parents that won't let him out of the house. However, regardless of the rumors going around him, he goes out of his way and against his parent's rules to leave Scout and Jem little presents and help them to escape from Bob Ewell. This is the turning point for Scout when she finally realizes Boo is a great person. "As I gazed at him in wonder the tension slowly drained from his face. His lips parted into a timid smile, and our neighbor's image blurred with my sudden tears" (Lee 270). Scout begins to accept Boo as what he really is, an incredibly kind and caring human being who deserves respect, not a monster whom she should hide from.

The character I respect the most in To Kill a Mockingbird is Scout. Although she is only six at the beginning of the book she is already more loyal and steadfast in her beliefs than many of the adults. She always takes the side of her family and her friends. She sticks with Jem as he grows distant from her and she always listens to Atticus even if she doesn't understand what he wants her to do or even if she disagrees with him. She is constantly pressured by her Aunt Alexandria to act more lady-like and to stop playing with the boys but she sticks to who she is and doesn't let the constant nagging bother her. When the trial commences she defends her father under every circumstance even against her cousin Francis. "A nigger-lover. I ain't very sure what it means, but the way Francis said it--tell you one thing right now, Uncle Jack, I'll be--I swear before God if I'll sit there and let him say somethin' about Atticus" (Lee 88). She is loyal to the degree that she defends her father when people are talking down about him even if she doesn't understand what they mean. She stays true to herself and to her family by always staying by their side. 

Besides Atticus, I respect Boo Radley the most. In the beginning of the book, he is pictured as a monster,"Boo was about six feet tall, judging from his tracks; he dined on raw squirrels and any cats he could catch, that's why his hands are blood-stained....There was long jagged scar that ran across his face; what teeth he had were yellow and rotten; his eyes popped, and he drooled most of the time(Lee 19)." But throughout the book, he shows his humanity by leaving gifts and candy for the Jem and Scout and mending Jem's pants. Although these deeds describe Boo, the best incident that shows Boo's character is when Boo saves the kids from Bob Ewell when Bob tries to murder them by putting himself between the kids and Ewell. Compared to the beginning, this incident doesn't resemble the Boo Radley the kids pictured. In fact, instead of calling him Boo I would rather call him Arthur given the fact that the townsfolk named him Boo due to the description given in the book. I respect Arthur because even though the townsfolk picture him as a monster, he still selflessly save the kids.

Jem emulates atticus and enforces Atticus’s preachings while serving as a role model for scout. Considering he is 10 years old, and most 10 year old boys can’t take care of themselves let alone their younger sister (whom most older brothers don’t want to deal with), he proves to be a responsible, compassionate and capable boy. He goes through his own transition from a young, naive adolescent into a intelligent, young man. Scout matures by watching Jem experience certain events such as the Tom Robinson trial, which got Jem very upset. Scout becomes more mature through the story by watching Jem grow-up. Jem grows up because he realizes how harsh people can be. He learned this from Atticus, and when the trial is over, Jem says “’It ain’t right,’ [Jem] muttered, all the way to the corner of the square where we found Atticus waiting” (284). He realizes this and Scout sees how upset Jem is and understands Atticus better through Jem seeing how he reacts to certain situations. Jem was very emotionally involved in the trial, he was finally realizing that it wasn’t right that they convicted Tom in the first place, let alone kill him for something that he did not do. Jem was crying while he was saying that it was not fair, and when Jem realizes that the world is unfair, he starts acting more adult like, which rubs off on Scout. Jem acts as another role model to Scout when Atticus is not there, and I respect him for that.

I respect Tom Robbinson the most. Even though he's in an awful situation, being accused of a crime he did not commit as a back man in the south in the 1930s, he stands his ground and testifies the truth. By telling the jury what really happened between him and Mayella, he's defying not only Bob Ewell, but also the stereotypes put on black people at the time. He knows well that saying the things he does could get him in even more trouble. No one at the time wanted to hear that it was really Mayella and her father causing trouble, especially from Tom. But he stands his ground, and defends himself, even though it's a terrifying thing to do.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Russ Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service