Here is the schedule for Monday, February 6, 2017!  Use this forum to post questions, comments, and shout-outs about anything happening on Monday of Writers Week XXIII!

Views: 540

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really liked that poem as well. Very inspirational.
So far, writers week has gotten off to a fantastic start. First period with Mary Fons was superb. You can really see her passion for writing and the fact that she has other hobbies that she is good at makes her a multi-talented person. All of her performances were very well executed and her ability to deliver such quality poems in front of a huge crowd was well done. She serves as an inspiration for me to follow my passion and don't stop believing that what you do can be wonderful and spectacular.

I think "passionate" is the best word to describe Mary, which makes her such a great writer and a great person. I hope she inspires you to think about writing in new ways and to feel comfortable challenging yourself with things you wouldn't have tried otherwise. Enjoy the rest of the week!

I really loved all the pieces, but I noticed the ones that really hit home were the ones who used humor and personal experiences. They conveyed their point while explaining how it related and affected their life.

I agree with you, Emily. And writing humor is so hard! I have a renewed appreciation for student writers that can add humor and still develop their overall message.

At today's 3rd hour Writer's Week presentation, I watched many different students share writing about various different topics. I really liked them all, and noticed how passionate they all were about both their writing and the topic they wrote about. Many incorporated humor, and while some were sad, they were still very cool to listen to. 

I went during 8th period when Taylor Mali was performing. He did exceed my expectations and I think he did really well. He voice captured all of the students' attentions and no one was talking when he was saying a poem. Sometimes, I didn't know when he was saying a poem or when he was just speaking to us. I like how most of the poems he read are relatable to high school students. My favorite poem might be the "Shut Up and You Know I Love You."

Taylor is one of a kind, and I'm so glad you got to see him perform today!

Love that one, too, Meghana!

I saw Mary Fons first and second period and I really liked the poem she wrote where she didn't use the letter E. It was very interesting and it must have been hard to write. Second period she wrote a poem like that on stage.

I'm in 8th period English, so I was able to watch Taylor Mali perform an assortment of really amazing poems. My favorite would have to be "Passive Aggressive", and I loved how he started with one topic, divulged into a completely different one, and then tied it all back together at the end ("gay baby whales" was also a plus). He presented with a strong, clear voice and I admire how he was able to eliminate many filler words when talking (e.g., "um", "like", "uh") so that his non-poem stories and normal speech adopted a unique, poetic quality of their own. His final poem, "The The Impotence of Proofreading" was absolutely hilarious and a very apt way to end off the evening. During my lunch period, I was also able to hear some of Rebecca Makkai's writing advice today. Her anecdote on how, in high school, she experienced a great temptation to write very descriptive stories that centered more on large themes and internal change rather than plot and external change, particularly resonated with me because I have the same habit. From her thoughts and advice, I learned how to better write an interesting story by combining both inner and external conflict.

*diverged

RSS

© 2017   Created by Russ Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service