Writers Week began at William Fremd High School in 1995 when, for the first time, we featured students, faculty, and professional writers in Kolze Auditorium during lunch hours for a week in April. Since then, about a thousand Fremd students have taken the stage to share their writing. Fac­ulty members from every department have related their stories through writing. Over the past nineteen years, more than two hundred professional writers from around the world have visited the Fremd campus during Writers Week to help us better understand writing and authors. The Writers Week concept has now spread to other schools as teachers from across the state and na­tion have visited our Writers Week and then launched “editions” of Writers Week at their own schools.

Writers Week XX is February 24-28, 2014.  Announcements about Writers Week XX guests and other information will appear in this discussion.  Feel free to add your Writers Week questions and comments here.

The Twitter hashtag for Writers Week XX is ... #wwxx

Writers Week XX Guests ... So Far

Simone Elkeles:  Author of Wild Cards and The Perfect Chemistry series

Geoff Herbach:  Author of Stupid Fast, Nothing Special, and I'm With Stupid

Joelle Charbonneau:  Author of The Testing Trilogy and others

Daphne Willis (Fremd '05):  Singer, songwriter, recording artist

Buddy Wakefield:  Three-time world champion performance poet

Kat Banakis (Fremd '99):  Author of Bubble Girl:  An Irreverent Journey of Faith

Sierra DeMulder:  Two-time national poetry slam champion; author of The Bones Below and New Shoes on a Dead Horse

Sports Journalism Panel with Jeff Dickerson, Jen Lada, and John Mullin

Mary Fons:  Blogger, poet, and host of public television's "Love of Quilting"

J. P. Brewner:  Author of The Trifecta:  Initiation

Alumni Writers

Alyse Liebovich (Class of 2001)

Chris Grattoni (Class of 2001)

Jessica Frank (Class of 1997)

Kim Pohl (Class of 1999)

... and FANBOYS

Here is a copy of the complete Writers Week XX program in pdf form --> Writers Week XX Program.PDF

Views: 4975

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can not wait for this years Writer's Week!  I'm most excited to see Daphne Willis again, since I really enjoyed her performance last year.  I'm also excited to hopefully see the performance poet,  Buddy Wakefield.  I've heard a lot about performance poetry, but I've never seen it in person, so I'm thrilled that I have the chance to see what it's like.  Most of all, I absolutely LOVE hearing from our own Fremd students and faculty, it reminds me that we have so much talent in this building alone! 

I am so incredibly excited for my first EVER Writer's Week! I am student teaching right now and feel privileged to be witnessing this awesome event at an awesome school! Good luck to all the presenters...I cannot wait to see the creativity!

Is there a link to the Writers Week videos that were archived? 

RSS

© 2017   Created by Russ Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service