Writers Week began at William Fremd High School in 1995 when, for the first time, we featured students, faculty, and professional writers in Kolze Auditorium during lunch hours for a week in April. Since then, about a thousand Fremd students have taken the stage to share their writing. Fac­ulty members from every department have related their stories through writing. Over the past nineteen years, more than two hundred professional writers from around the world have visited the Fremd campus during Writers Week to help us better understand writing and authors. The Writers Week concept has now spread to other schools as teachers from across the state and na­tion have visited our Writers Week and then launched “editions” of Writers Week at their own schools.

Writers Week XX is February 24-28, 2014.  Announcements about Writers Week XX guests and other information will appear in this discussion.  Feel free to add your Writers Week questions and comments here.

The Twitter hashtag for Writers Week XX is ... #wwxx

Writers Week XX Guests ... So Far

Simone Elkeles:  Author of Wild Cards and The Perfect Chemistry series

Geoff Herbach:  Author of Stupid Fast, Nothing Special, and I'm With Stupid

Joelle Charbonneau:  Author of The Testing Trilogy and others

Daphne Willis (Fremd '05):  Singer, songwriter, recording artist

Buddy Wakefield:  Three-time world champion performance poet

Kat Banakis (Fremd '99):  Author of Bubble Girl:  An Irreverent Journey of Faith

Sierra DeMulder:  Two-time national poetry slam champion; author of The Bones Below and New Shoes on a Dead Horse

Sports Journalism Panel with Jeff Dickerson, Jen Lada, and John Mullin

Mary Fons:  Blogger, poet, and host of public television's "Love of Quilting"

J. P. Brewner:  Author of The Trifecta:  Initiation

Alumni Writers

Alyse Liebovich (Class of 2001)

Chris Grattoni (Class of 2001)

Jessica Frank (Class of 1997)

Kim Pohl (Class of 1999)

... and FANBOYS

Here is a copy of the complete Writers Week XX program in pdf form --> Writers Week XX Program.PDF

Views: 3622

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am so very excited for this year's Writer's Week. Buddy Wakefield and Sierra DeMulder are two of my favorite poets, and I can't wait to see them live. Sierra especially, because she's become quite a regular and I was disappointed to not see her. Man, why can't it be February already!

Writer's Week is my FAVORITE week during the school year. Last year, I had the luxury of listening to Daphne Willis sing on stage and she was great! I am glad that she is returning once more. Simone Elkeles is also another person that I am excited to see. I have only read the first book, Perfect Chemistry, from the Perfect Chemistry series written by her and I enjoyed it. I better finish the rest of the books in that series before I see her in February!

I love Writer's Week! I don't think there's a student at Fremd who doesn't like it. In my English class this year, we're reading Joelle Charbonneau's The Testing, so I can't wait to see her speak! Hearing what authors have to say about why they wrote certain things and where they their inspiration from is the most interesting part of hearing them speak, in my opinion.

This year's Writer's Week looks very interesting and fun! I can't wait! Writer's Week is always my favorite part of the school year. You can meet and listen to some great authors speak about their books and their lives, but at the same time you can watch some of your peers write some of their own works and be brave enough to read them out to a full auditorium! I am always very astonished and proud of any student who reads their own work, especially ones that may be personal or touchy subjects. 

I can't wait for this year's Writer's Week! I hope I will get to see Simone Elkeles because I am a big fan of her books! Writer's Week is literally so much fun and I go whenever I can during the school day. I am so excited!!

I'm really excited for this years writers week.  Last year I didn't really know what to expect but this year I'm totally ready.  Even though I haven't read anything by any of the authors that are speaking I know people who have and maybe I'll decide to read some of their works after hearing them speak.  Also shout out to the musicians playing before the speakers during the passing periods.

Writer's Week is definitely one of my favorite events during the school year.  Being on the home stretch of my senior year and looking back, some of my fondest memories have come from Writer's Week, especially when I get to hear a teacher or student talk.  You think you might know them until you hear some great personal story of theirs and it makes you appreciate them even more.  It's too bad that this will be my last Writer's Week at Fremd, but I am still very much looking forward to it.

I'm very excited for Writers Week this year. I saw Buddy Wakefield freshmen year and bought his spoken word album off of  Itunes that same day. He's an awesome person to see perform, I can't wait. 

I love Writer's Week. During this week, there a different atmosphere at Fremd. Because every student is required to attend during their English class, everyone is forced to be respectful of the special guests we host because we pay money for them and because they are important people and we want to make a good impression as a school. Also, I've noticed students have more respect for each other too. This respect isn't just found in the auditorium, but it's extended into the hallways as well.
This year looks really exciting. I always love the student works the best though!

Thanks to everyone who submitted work for consideration this year. We had a record number of entries. Unfortunately, there simply isn’t room in the schedule for all of our school’s fine writers. So, we also have a record number of submissions that were not accepted.

If your name appears below, you will be one of the featured writers during Writers Week XX. Congratulations. Please plan to attend a required meeting on Thursday, February 13 at either 7 a.m. in Room 125 or 3 p.m. in room 129. If you do not attend one of these meetings, we will assume that you are no longer interested in being a Writers Week presenter this year, and we will remove your name from the program. 

If your name appears below, please join this "Writers Week XX Featured Students" Ning Group.  If you are already a member on this Ning, just go to the page and request to join.  If you are not currently a member of this Ning, please sign up on the Main Page using your D211 email address.

If your name does not appear below, please know that your submission is still appreciated. We had to make some very difficult decisions. We hope that you will continue writing and look for ways to support all of the writers in our school. 

Dannika

Andersen

Robert

Andrews

Alec

Assmann

Zoish

Avari

Elisabeth

Azzarello

Blythe

Baird

Samantha

Barry

Michelle

Baum

Adam

Bieda

Kaela

Boldt

Mike

Bramer

Kristen

Cardoza

Camilla

Chee

Autumn

Cho

Melissa

Chyan

Daniel

Classon

Sam

Corzine

Graham

Dano

Haley

Dirkes-Jacks

Julia

Dirkes-Jacks

Hannah

Downing

Matthew

Faust

Madeline

Fear

Lauren

Finegan

Liz

Flavin

Antania

Freund

Viviana

Gonzalez and Jeannie Whitfield

Aaron

Harris

Patrick

Haugh

Will

Helgren

Eric

Henderlight

Abby

Iuorio

Zoe

Ivanov

Nick

Kartsunes

Emily

Keith

Imama

Khawaja

Erica

Kim

Alex

King

Brenna

Knippen

Karlie

Koepke

Peter

Kokkinias

Miya

Konishi

Jessica

Kopec

Caroline

Krezalek

Alec

Kuznitsky

Emma

LaCroix

Claire

Latourette

Sammy

Levey

Madeline

Lopez

Junilane

Lusung

Maggie

Madden

Ali

Maniscalco

Jillian

Marsden

Alaina

McCaffrey

Christina

Miller

Rachel

Misic

Andrea

Nicholson

Allie

Oakes

Cat

Ogilvy

Jesse

Ott

Matt

Papagiotopoulos

Dominique

Pasek

Patrick

Pazerunas

Connor

Pozzi

Caroline

Prescott

Meg

Ramsland

Nicole

Ricken

Courtney

Robb

Alaina

Romo

Angela

Rublaitus

Isaiah

Sanderman

Megan

Schalk

Kristina

Schmoeller

Adam

Shay

Laura

Smearman

Anastasia

Sotos

Emily

Stearney

Casey

Stocking

Aarathi

Subramanian

Christina

Swint

Anusha

Thotakura

Nick

Vucovich

Ameila

West

Johnny

Whitfield

Emily

Worthem

Hyun Ju

Yoon

If you have not joined the Ning Group yet, you are missing important information.  Please do that right away.  Also, please note the room numbers for this Thursday's meetings.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Russ Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service